Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kaiyukan - Osaka Aquarium

I love going to aquariums. Jellyfish are on the top of my list to watch and after going to the aquarium in Osaka, I am adding whale sharks to my list; however, I don't know of any aquariums in the U.S. with whale sharks... (if anyone knowns, please tell me).

Kaiyukan is one of the largest aquariums in the world. I've visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California and National Aquarium in Maryland, both have great exhibits; however, neither of them could top the Pacific Ocean tank at the Kaiyukan. The Pacific Ocean tank is 9 meters (29.5 feet) deep, 34 meters (111.5 feet) in length, with a total volume of 5,400 tons of water.

The Kaiyukan uses 103 acrylic glass panes weighing 314 tons in total (1.5 times heavier than the world annual output). The largest piece is used for the Pacific Ocean tank; it weighs 10 tons and measures 5 meters (16.4 feet) in height, 6 meters (19.7 feet) in width and 0.3 meters (1 foot) in thickness.






Pirarucu (Arapaima).





Whale shark!!!!



Manta ray.


Ocean sunfish.

No riding the porpoise!

More whale shark photographs...



Puffer fish.




Jelly fish!!!



Remora (a.k.a., suckerfish).

Thank goodness for shark cages.

No comments: