Wednesday, September 16, 2009

No race for me...

Yesterday, I visited the UofU Orthopaedic Center and had x-rays taken of my knees to discover the source of all the pain in my right knee. Since my attempted 20-mile run on Sunday, which turned into a 12-mile run and 1.5-mile walk/bike ride, I've been off of my right foot using a cane, office chair (works great on hardwood floors), crutches (thanks Rich), and Ken (after all, he is the Sherpa) to get around.

My x-rays and having my leg woman-handled (my doc is a lady) did not result in any answers; the next step was an MRI. Today, the MRI revealed a stress fracture in the head of my tibia bone.

What does this mean?
  • Four weeks on crutches, which could be lessened to two weeks if I have no more pain (hello couch!).
  • Wearing an ugly-ass brace.
  • Use of a stationary/elliptical bike starting in four weeks.
  • PT of water-resistance running starting in eight weeks.
  • Possible running (normally) in 3 months.

X-ray of my knees.


My MRI pictures.

Note: I turns out that I am a fidgety little thing and it was a bad choice to ask them to play a "Garbage" mix on the headphones during the MRI. The MRI guy had to tell me "Don't move. Your pictures are not going to turn out. I can tell that you are moving."; oops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang ginger, I hope your recovery is quick.

-Matt