Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cork, Ireland

I've been in Ireland for five days and want to share the following slang I've come across while here:
gauntlets = gowning sleeves for processing,
rubbish bin = waste/trash bin,
canteen = cafeteria,
car boot sale = trunk sale, and
mozzies = mosquitoes.
Update:
"DINE in CORK" restaurant week is occurring while I am here! The city's top restaurants are offering a special promotional rate of €25 per person for traditional three course dinner menus with tea and coffee. PERFECT! On Thursday, we (Linda, Harold, and myself) had a fabulous meal at the Cornstore Wine Bar & Grill. I ate:
Portabello Flat Mushrooms with basil pesto, rocket salad and grated parmesan.
Rich Duck Liver Pate with apple and grape chutney, toasted sour dough bread.
Roast Haunch of Venison with beetroot confit.
Eton Mess with fresh raspberries and passion fruit coulis.

Side Note: If you decide to go with the "fried potatoes", instead of a side of rice at a Chinese restaurant in Cork, you'll be served French fries (I have seen it).

After dinner on Thursday, my friend/co-worker, Harold, managed to locate our first Irish geocache (GC2F4WQ - Knee of the Lee)! We had attempted to find two other geocaches without any luck (I need to locate a four-leaf clover to carry around); these city caches are difficult. However, our Blackberrys and my iPhone took us to the right place. The cache was near the amazing looking Trinity Church.

No comments: