Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Deer - Nara

Ken can vouch the deer in the park were my favorite attraction, hehe! The park is home to about 1,200 deer, which in old times were considered to be messengers of the gods. These free-roaming, sacred, deer are one of the symbols of Nara and today enjoy the status of national treasures. We purchased some special biscuits called shika-sembei from vendors to feed the deer. The deer were very pushy when asking for hand-outs (i.e., biting and tugging at Ken's shirt). Ken thought the deer biscuits smelled bad, so I ended up carrying them throughout the park. :P




Funny sign warning people of the deer.


DEER ATTACK!






Me with Sento-kun, the official mascot character for the Commemorative Events of the 1,300th Anniversary of the Nara-Heijokyo Capital.

1 comment:

Sasq said...

Ginger/Ken, I love these pictures. Japan is a place I want to visit one day and you guys did a really good job with seeing the sites. I'll have to admit, I couldn't have eaten nearly as much stuff as you had. Those fish in some of the other posts...not for me.

I loved the video. Very fitting.