Saturday, December 18, 2010

Kinsale, Ireland

We took the bus to Kinsale to do a little shopping, sightseeing, and dinner. I enjoyed the town and I hope you enjoy the photographs.

The mascot for the bus line is an Irish Setter instead of a Greyhound. :)




'
Tidbit of information: "Desmond Castle was built by Maurice Bacach Fitzgerald, the Earl of Desmond, c. 1500. Originally built as the Kinsale Custom House, it has also served as an ordnance store, prison and during the Great Irish Famine, as a workhouse."


Automatic toilet; strange. Jeremiah says they have them in San Francisco, but I don't remember seeing them. Guess, I should be more observant.


For dinner we ate at the Fishy Fishy Restaurant; all of their fish is caught locally.

Our meal consisted of:
Seafood Chowder (shellfish and tomato stock, flavoured with tarragon and coriander, finished with a mix of local fish);
Steamed Local Mussels with fresh basil and lemon butter; and
Platter of Oak Smoked Salmon (above).

The food was superb (best seafood chowder I've ever eaten) and I would definitely make the trip to Kinsale again for another meal at this restaurant.

No comments: